“Fiction Express has changed reading in my class by helping learners to read entire books, …” Catherine Stuart, SLS Teacher Librarian
Schools´Library Service Guille-Allès (Guernsey), working with special needs students and children with low reading levels.
“Fiction Express has changed reading in my class by helping learners to read entire books, where previously this would have been an overwhelming and intimidating concept for them.” Catherine Stuart, SLS Teacher Librarian
What they were looking to achieve
- To improve reading levels, comprehension and joy of reading, working with secondary pupils with special needs and low reading levels.
Why they recommend Fiction Express to other teachers
- Impact on reading enjoyment
- Increase in reading levels
- Breadth of ideas available on teaching resources to aid planning time.
Impact on pupils’ learning
- The online glossary facility improves word comprehension and the use of unusual words in the stories we have read has improved learners’ vocabulary.
- The interaction from authors on the book forum helps students feel part of the writing process and keeps them engaged in the book,
- The different text and colour modes is very helpful for our dyslexic students.
Enhancement of teachers’ work
- The reading quiz is a great way for teachers to highlight to each learner how well they have comprehended the story as it gives them a simple but clear indicator of who was paying attention to the story during the session.
- The short five-chapter books have been especially beneficial to our special needs students and low level readers.
- The student tracking has proved useful, as teachers can see which students are using their accounts at home, increasing their reading time.