“Fiction Express has changed the culture of reading at our school.” Paul Jackson, Headteacher
Manorfield Primary School (London), a state school located in a socioeconomically challenged area.
What they were looking to achieve
- To boost reading for pleasure at home and school.
- To give reluctant readers more choice and enjoyment due to interactive elements.
- To offer quality, purposeful, independent reading activities during carousel guided reading time
Why they recommend Fiction Express to other teachers
- Fiction Express is a great tool to get children reading and enjoying their reading.
- Excellent per-pupil price given the extensive Fiction Express content and complementary functionalities in comparison to traditional paper books
- Very good quality
Impact on pupils’ learning
- Fiction Express has a huge impact on children’s enjoyment of reading. It actually transferred from FE into books and we see children engage in a much richer way.
- Children are now able to articulate why they like texts, why they like reading. The enjoyment of reading just shines through.
- Fiction Express builds vocabulary through the online glossary.
- Children can read anywhere, don’t need to take a book. Great if they’ve forgotten to take a book home.
Enhancement of teachers’ work
- Teachers can monitor quickly and easily children’s reading habits and progress through tracking.
- We can motivate our students to read more by rewarding the heavy readers through competitions in each class.
- Saves teachers time when planning meaningful reading activities.
- Fiction Express introduces teachers to quality writing and new authors.